EQUINE INFLUENZA VACCINATIONS
Please note that for all BRC official competitions your horse must have a valid flu certificate which means that the dates of vaccinations must comply with the following:
- Horse must have had its first two vaccinations at least.
- The second vaccination must have been given no less than 21 and not more than 92 days after the first one.
- There must be a third vaccination given not less than 150 and not more than 215 days after the second primary injection.
- Thereafter the horse must have annual booster injections at intervals of not more than a year apart.
- None of these vaccinations must have been given on the day of the competition or on any of the 6 days before the competition.
- From 1st March 2020, the horse must have been vaccinated within six months and 21 days of the date of the official BRC competition (qualifier or championship) but must not have been vaccinated in the 6 days before the competition.
However , providing that a horse has been given the first two vaccinations correctly and there are no errors in the annual vaccinations for the past five calendar years, then the horse will be accepted for BRC qualifiers and championships.
Please note that leap years wil be ignored for the annual booster, but for the two primary injections and first booster injection, the days must be counted and therefore a leap year would interfere with the correct number of days between injections.
In terms of working out the 6 months and 21 days there is a 2020 checker which has been uploaded to the downloads section of the BRC website. At the bottom of the checker if has a section to determine the 6 months and 21 days. https://www.bhs.org.uk/enjoy-riding/british-riding-clubs/brc-downloads